the student activities that never were

Last Friday, I was supposed to go on a Ropes Course sponsored by LILAC, the Leadership, Innovation and Liberal Arts Center, and, after that, was supposed to go to a Phillies Game, sponsored by Student Activities.

Neither of these things happened and so this is where this blog post ends, thanks for reading.

tumblr_m8sq4rwGOM1ry883to1_500The Ropes Course developed into trust building and leadership exercises, and the Phillies game was to be postponed for Saturday which, unfortunately, I still could not attend. I am really disappointed  because I was looking forward to my first baseball game.

sorry baseball player I don't know - I know you wanted to be there.

sorry baseball player I don’t know – I know you wanted me to be there.

We were meant to go to a Ropes Course at the Westtown School, a good 40 minutes away from Bryn Mawr. However, it had pretty much been raining nonstop on Friday, leaving us feeling a bit worried about whether we would still be able to participate in the Course.

there was a lot more rain than this picture would tell you!

However, we were informed that the trip would still be taking place, so we got on the bus, and readied ourselves for the long bus ride. I chose to take a healthy snack with me…

creds: NM’16

*ahem*, in the interest of health, I chose to take spinach from the dining hall and eat it with my fries. However, I would be lying if I said I didn’t need the motivation of fries to get me through eating spinach. Popeye the Sailor Man, I am not.

Popeye-Wallpaper

I just don’t have that kind of motivation in my life.

Anyway, weird eating habits aside, we got to the Westtown School, and were quickly ushered inside. Already, a bad sign. We were then told that due to the rain and due to some tree branches falling (!) we wouldn’t be doing the Ropes Course. Rather than be worried for our own safety, we were upset with the friend who asked us to sign up for the Ropes Course in the first place.

ropes

Ropes-1 These are photos of what COULD HAVE BEEN. Taken from the Westtown School website.

But we actually ended up having a really fun time. We showed up to the school, ready to pout, or at least I was, but the counselors there (Matthew and Ken, I won’t be forgetting their names 😉 ) were so much fun and were so engaging, and had a great Plan B for us, that it was difficult not to immediately get pulled into their new game ideas.

two-friends-hugging-clipart-hugging-friends

thanks for telling us to sign up NM’16

We played a lot of trust exercises throughout the day. We played knee tag, which I was able to last in longer than I thought, mostly by using the trusty strategy of just staying really, really, far away from everyone else.

knee tagWe then did a lot of trust exercises, falling into one person’s arms, falling into two people’s arms, falling into the group, and then being flipped 360 degrees, no big deal.

I5s7nYo

this is an image portraying how we felt when the activities were accomplished as well as the trust exercises themselves.

That was a lot of fun, and I can definitely say that I trust the people I was with, and that I am also very surprised by our combined strengths. I know that I must still suck at arm-wrestling, but this experience has given me false feelings of grandeur and power.

the most trust worthy bunch of people you've ever seen.

the most trust worthy bunch of people you’ve ever seen.